Monday, July 11, 2011

Future of Food

If I had to pick one particular snack, I would pick the Nabisco Oreos, they have been a favorite since I was a little girl. They were introduced to me by my father, and as kids my sister and I would look like the little kids in the commercials dipping the cookies in milk as a nighttime snack.

The original sandwich cookie was produced by Nabisco and was first introduced in 1912 in New York City. Originally the cookie was developed in two basic flavors, lemon meringue and cream. Due to the popularity of the cream flavor, this became the main production for the cookie.

Some ingredients found in the cookie include sugar, enriched flour, canola oil, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, cornstarch and artificial flavors. These ingredients are produced in several different areas, but I am not sure exactly where Nabisco gets their ingredients from. Nabisco is a brand of the Kraft Foods Company, so I looked through their corporate information page to find out who some of their producer and suppliers are. Again I came up against a wall, there are so many products that their corporate website is more about investing and the principles of the company. Nothing about this cookie is naturally healthy, its more of a processed product.

Though I could not really load the movie to watch it, I can only imagine that it pointed out some the ingredients that are used in most of the products we consume on an every day basis. Most times it can be a little disturbing, like the King of Corn video we watched. We do not realize what we are feeding our bodies, and many of the processed ingredients that we eat have lead most Americans to obesity. In my opinion, we should be more aware of exactly what we are consuming. Whether it be how a product is produced, the insecticides or inorganic fertilizers used to grow crops, or the chemicals used to produce the packaging; we are harming our body. Some people do not want to know all the hidden secrets to what makes food good, but if we do not know we do not know how to fix it.

Sources:

  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreo
  • http://www.nabiscoworld.com/oreo/
  • http://www.nabiscoworld.com/Brands/ProductInformation.aspx?BrandKey=oreo&Site=1&Product=4400000820
  • http://www.kraftfoodscompany.com/About/index.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment